Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Hot Wheels '84 Ford Mustang SVO and Why We Still Need a Better Foxbody Casting...

Related Posts


I enjoy the Hot Wheels Turbo Mustang, because it's nostalgically cool, but not because it's a great casting. The '92 Ford Mustang is too fat and chunky. It doesn't quite feel right proportion wise. The '84 Mustang SVO is growing on me, but like the '92, it seems bloated and the liftback is too off-scale and distracting. Then there's the Matchbox '93 Mustang SSP. It's marvelous and I've picked up every release, but something still seems off. It seems too small, as if the body panels aren't tall enough. You may disagree with me, but Mattel still lacks a perfect Fox Body. It's got the '71 Mach I nailed down and the '70 Road Race Camaro is on point, but that darned Fox Body...

Okay, by now you may be thinking I'm too picky or completely looney, but go look at the Greenlight Fox Bodies and you'll see what a 1/64 version should look like. Now that I've said my piece, let's look at the '84 SVO. It's not a bad casting by any means, it's just not perfect. The Boulevard release is fantastic. The Heritage release does an incredible job of hearkening the blackwall era with a modern casting. A good friend RAOK'd me this one and I can't help but appreciate the enamel easter-egg blue paint rolling on second-gen Redlines.

The Cool Classics release deserved a brighter Spectrafrost color. The dark gray with brown/maroon accents doesn't do it for me. All told, the '84 SVO takes a good swing at a Fox Body (the fastest fox) and it doesn't miss. But it doesn't hit a home run either...

Enjoy the photos!


















Happy Collecting!!

From : thewesterndiecastreview.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment